A deliciously moist and tender banana and coconut bread recipe, made in one bowl and without eggs! Made with almond flour and naturally sweetened, it’s perfect to snack on, breakfast or even dessert! Secretly low carb, paleo, vegan and gluten-free.
Healthy Banana Coconut Bread Recipe
After making some toasted coconut flakes from my second cookbook, I thought they’d be perfect to add to a fresh loaf!
I am incredibly picky when it comes to my banana bread recipes. They have to be moist on the inside, and tender and golden on the outside. I also prefer my sweetbreads to be healthy, as I secretly love having a slice or two for breakfast.
Made without butter, without dairy, and without sugar, this coconut banana bread recipe ticks ALL the boxes. It’s paleo, vegan, gluten-free and grain-free, but you’d never tell!
How to make healthy banana and coconut bread
- Prepare your flax eggs by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes until a gel is formed.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a seperate small bowl, combine your melted coconut oil, prepared flax eggs, and mashed bananas. Mix very well.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in your coconut flakes and optional chocolate chips, using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the coconut banana bread into the lined loaf pan. Top with extra chocolate chips and coconut flakes and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center.
- Allow the banana and coconut bread to cool in the pan completely, before slicing into pieces.
Can I use coconut flour for banana bread?
Substituting the almond flour for coconut flour will NOT work.
Can you replace butter with coconut oil in the recipe?
This coconut and banana bread recipe has been tested using butter instead of coconut oil. It will work well, but be sure the vegan butter is completely melted before adding to the mixture.
Can I use eggs if I am not vegan?
To replace the flax eggs with real eggs, you can use two large eggs. Be sure that they are at room temperature.
Storing banana coconut bread
If you intend on enjoying the banana coconut bread within 2-3 days, you can store it at room temperature. Ensure they are stored in a sealed container or covered completely.
It is best to refrigerate banana bread, as it is super moist. Place the loaf on a plate and cover completely. Refrigerated banana coconut bread will keep fresh for up to 7 days.
Can you freeze banana coconut bread?
Healthy Banana and coconut bread is freezer friendly and perfect to store in the freezer, to enjoy later.
Simply slice banana coconut bread and wrap each slice in parchment paper. Place each slice in a ziplock bag and place in the freezer.
Frozen banana and coconut bread will keep for up to 6 months.
To enjoy a slice from the freezer, thaw at room temperature.
More healthy sweet bread and cakes recipes
Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
Prepare your flax egg by combining your ground flaxseed with water. Let sit for 10 minutes to form a gel.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl, melt your coconut oil. Add your mashed bananas and flax eggs/eggs and whisk together.
Using a rubber spatula, fold through your shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
Transfer your coconut banana bread batter into the greased pan. Top with extra chocolate chips and coconut and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan completely, before slicing.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin A: 2% | Vitamin C: 3% | Calcium: 4% | Iron: 4%