If you like sweet potatoes or sweet-tasting foods in general, you will love this recipe. Fresh ginger root is another key ingredient that elevates the flavor profile by adding that zing!
Sweet Potato Ginger Soup [Vegan, Paleo]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 24 ounces of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 2-inch fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/2-1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Melt coconut oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the sweet potatoes, cover, and cook for 5 more minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and cayenne, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for about 10-15 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat and blend using an immersion blender (or use a regular blender) until smooth. Pour in the coconut milk, stir, and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Per Serving: Calories: 247 | Carbs: 34 g | Fat: 12 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 744 mg | Sugar: 9 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.