I can’t think of a better match made in heaven than vegan corn bread and chili. You can dip it, crumble it, or my personal favorite place it in the middle of a bowl and pour chili on top. I added cilantro to give it a little flavor kick so it also pairs nicely with a nice southwestern tortilla soup. My toddler loved this sweet corn bread with melted butter on top and even asked for more “cake.” Another plus to this particular recipe is there is no refined sugar which is a great bonus to moms trying to stay keep this a minimum in their child’s diet. Other great ways to enjoy this bread is slicing it in half for a sandwich or pop the batter into muffin tins for some morning muffins.
Vegan Cornbread With Cilantro
- 1 cup white vegan cornbread meal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup date sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil , melted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil and dust with flour an 8-inch square or round pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together corn meal, flour, date sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small dish, add flaxseed meal and water to create a flax egg. Let sit for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, flax egg, and coconut oil until well combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and stir in wet ingredients until a dough is created.
- with a spatula, fold in fresh cilantro until evenly distributed into the dough.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking pan. Place in preheated oven and bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown and thoroughly cooked through.
Have a vegan cornbread recipe you love? let us know in the comments.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: