We get it; you’re on a diet but craving your fave comfort foods like ice cream and chicken noodle soup. With our food series, #NotCheating, we’re turning these cheat-day dishes into compliant recipes. If you’re dabbling with gluten-free, vegan, keto, paleo, Whole30, or other plans, allow these takes to curb your hankerings healthfully.
If you have chosen to follow a vegan lifestyle, you know that the various Eastern hemisphere cuisines provide a lot of menu inspiration. Indian is often the evening’s answer with its vegetable-forward dishes and convenient delivery. However, you might miss the cheesy naan bread if you’re vegan. It’s one of our favorites for sure. But, miss it no more!
Traditional naan combines yogurt, wheat flour, water, and baking powder to form a stretchy dough that is rolled out like a pizza before being pan-seared. We’ve come up with a vegan alternative that incorporates many of the same ingredients (with the exception of cashew yogurt instead of dairy yogurt) and cooking technique. However, it eats slightly differently than traditional naan. Our recipe has more of a flaky texture than a chewy one. And rather than being topped with a slather of butter, our vegan flatbread is filled with vegan mozzarella. Naan is typically served with curry, so the coconut chickpea curry dipping sauce is a delicious bonus. If you prefer, blend the dip until it’s smooth for easier noshing.
Vegan “Cheesy” Flatbread
Recipe Notes: If you can’t find Daiya, try another vegan mozzarella. Our store was out, so we used Mikoyo. If you can’t find butter-flavored coconut oil, sub it with regular coconut oil or a vegan butter of your choice.
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cashew yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- about 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored coconut oil
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients and mix throughly with a spatula or wooden spoon.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into four portions and flatten with your palm. Holding the flattened dough in your palm, add a couple large pinches of cheese to the center of the dough. Fold the dough over and around the cheese and re-flatten so the cheese is in the middle of the disc. Repeat with the other three portions of dough.
4. Heat a tablespoon of the butter-flavored coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
5. Place one of the flatbreads into the pan and sear on each side for about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the flatbreads. Carefully transfer to a plate. These can be crumbly so use a large, flexible spatula to prevent the breads from cracking.
Coconut Chickpea Curry Dip
(Makes about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/2 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- zest and juice of 1 lime (zest using a microplane)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- vegan “cheesy” flatbreads, recipe above
1. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and let sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the tomato paste and curry powder; let cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the coconut milk and chickpeas; let mixture come to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Season with lime zest, lime juice, and salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Serve immediately with vegan “cheesy” flatbreads.
Make this and tag @BritandCo on Instagram.
(Recipe by Ashley Bare / Brit + Co; styling by Kayla Haykin / Brit + Co; photos via Brittany Griffin / Brit + Co)